As your due date approaches, leg cramps, breathlessness, contractions, frequent trips to the bathroom, and your baby’s activity can interfere with your sleep. It’s sleep you desperately need while you’re pregnant, and will miss once your baby arrives! Here’s what you can do:
- Use extra pillows or a body pillow to support your legs and back.
- Have a light snack or a glass of milk before bed.
- Exercise during the day to help you sleep more soundly at night.
- Practice relaxation exercises before you go to sleep.
- Take a warm (not hot) bath or shower before bed.
- Avoid caffeine, especially late in the day. That includes chocolate. Sorry!
- DON’T use sleeping pills or drink alcohol. They could harm your baby.