Using a hot tub or sauna can raise your core body temperature. Having a core body temperature that's too high is called hyperthermia. It can harm the fetus. Hyperthermia during the early weeks of pregnancy has been linked to an increased risk of neural tube defects.
Experts don't forbid hot tub or sauna use. But if you use a hot tub or sauna, you do need to be careful.footnote 1
- Limit how long you sit in a hot tub or sauna.
- Do not stay in a hot tub for more than 10 minutes.
- Do not stay in a sauna for more than 15 minutes.
- Get out if you feel too hot.
- A hot tub or sauna should not be so hot that you are uncomfortable.
- Sit with your arms and chest above the water in a hot tub.
- This will help keep you from getting too warm.
Current as of: July 10, 2023