[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Iron Toxicity Caused by Iron Overdose

 

Iron toxicity occurs when the body has excessive amounts of iron. The most common cause of iron toxicity is accidental overdose of iron pills by children. Iron pills often attract children because they look like candy. It is important to keep iron pills and all medicines out of the reach of children.

Stomach problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea, usually occur within 6 hours of the overdose. Depending upon the amount of iron ingested, symptoms may improve and recovery may follow.

If symptoms do not improve on their own or are left untreated, death can occur 12 to 48 hours after the overdose.

 

By Healthwise Staff
Primary Medical Reviewer E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Brian Leber, MDCM, FRCPC - Hematology
Last Revised April 8, 2011

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.


The Health Encyclopedia contains general health information. Not all treatments or services described are covered benefits for Kaiser Permanente members or offered as services by Kaiser Permanente. For a list of covered benefits, please refer to your Evidence of Coverage or Summary Plan Description. For recommended treatments, please consult with your health care provider.

More to explore

[an error occurred while processing this directive]