Milrinone - injection
Milrinone - injection
This medication is used for the short-term treatment of heart failure. It works by making your heart beat stronger and by relaxing certain blood vessels so that the amount of blood that is pumped from the heart is increased. This effect may help with symptoms of heart failure (such as shortness of breath, tiredness).
This medication is given by injection into a vein as directed by your doctor. It is usually first given as a slow injection (over 10 minutes) and then given as a continuous infusion thereafter.
If you are giving this medication to yourself at home, learn all preparation and usage instructions from your health care professional. Before using, check this product visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not use the liquid. Learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely.
Dosage is based on your medical condition, weight, and response to treatment.
Headaches may occur. If this effect persists or worsens, tell your doctor promptly.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including:
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including:
In the US -
Before using milrinone, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it, or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of:
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is unknown if this medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Some products have ingredients that could worsen your heart failure. Tell your pharmacist what products you are using, and ask how to use them safely (especially cough-and-cold products, diet aids, or NSAIDs such as ibuprofen/naproxen).
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: severe dizziness, fainting.
Laboratory and/or medical tests (such as blood pressure, heart rate/rhythm, kidney function, blood mineral levels) should be performed periodically to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Consult your doctor for more details.
This drug is to be given continuously as an infusion. If your infusion is interrupted, contact your doctor or pharmacist right away.
Consult the product instructions and your pharmacist for storage details. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Information last revised May 2017.
Copyright(c) 2017 First Databank, Inc.