Mupirocin ointment - topical
Mupirocin ointment - topical
Mupirocin is used to treat certain skin infections (such as impetigo). It is an antibiotic. It works by stopping the growth of certain bacteria.
Read the Patient Information Leaflet if available from your pharmacist before you start using mupirocin and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Use this medication only on the skin. Clean and dry the affected area first. Then apply a small amount of ointment to the area as directed by your doctor, usually 3 times a day. You may cover the treated area with a bandage.
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Continue to use it for the full time prescribed, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the medication too early may result in a return of the infection.
Avoid using this medication around your eyes, nose, mouth, or on large areas of damaged or broken skin unless otherwise directed by your doctor. If you accidentally get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth, rinse well with plenty of water.
Tell your doctor if your condition does not get better in 3 to 5 days.
Although uncommon, mild burning or stinging after using this medication may occur. If you have severe burning, stinging, or irritation, stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away.
This medication may rarely cause a severe intestinal condition (Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea) due to a type of resistant bacteria. This condition may occur during treatment or weeks to months after treatment has stopped. Tell your doctor right away if you develop:
Do not use anti-diarrhea or opioid medications if you have any of these symptoms because these products may make them worse.
Use of this medication for prolonged or repeated periods may result in a new skin infection caused by fungus or yeast. Tell your doctor right away if you notice signs of a new infection, or if your current infection does not get better or if it gets worse.
In the US -
Before using mupirocin, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients (such as polyethylene glycol found in some brands), which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of:
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is unknown if this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
This medication has been prescribed for your current condition only. Do not use it later for another infection unless your doctor tells you to.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose. Use your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Information last revised May 2018.
Copyright(c) 2018 First Databank, Inc.