Multivitamins/iron/fluoride chewable tablet - oral
pediatric multivit no.142-iron 9 mg-fluoride 0.25 mg chewable tablet
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6 years of age. Keep this product out of reach of children. If overdose occurs, get medical help right away or call a poison control center.
This product is a combination of vitamins, iron, and fluoride. It is used by children to treat or prevent deficiency due to poor diet or low levels of fluoride in drinking water and other sources. Vitamins and iron are important building blocks of the body and help keep you in good health. Fluoride is used to prevent dental cavities.
Chew this medication thoroughly and swallow as directed by the doctor, usually once daily after brushing the teeth. If your child cannot safely chew and swallow this tablet, consult your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
This medication is best taken on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. If stomach upset occurs, you may take this medication with food. Avoid taking antacids, dairy products, tea, or coffee within 2 hours before or after this medication because they will decrease its effectiveness.
The fluoride in this chewable tablet can be absorbed directly into the teeth during and after chewing, as well as being absorbed into your body from your stomach. Therefore, it is best not to eat, drink, or rinse your mouth for 30 minutes after taking this product.
Take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day. Do not take more than the prescribed dose.
Stomach upset, constipation, or nausea may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Iron may cause your stools to turn black, an effect that is not harmful.
If your teeth become mottled or stained, tell your dentist or doctor. This may be a result of too much fluoride.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including:
- itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat)
- severe dizziness
- trouble breathing
In the US -
Before taking this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to any of its ingredients; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
This medication may contain aspartame. If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), or any other condition that requires you to limit/avoid aspartame (or phenylalanine) in your diet, ask your doctor or pharmacist about using this product safely.
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
This product is not usually used in adults. Therefore, it is unlikely to be used during pregnancy or breast-feeding. Consult your doctor if you have any questions about this product.
See also How To Use section.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval.
This product can interfere with your body's ability to absorb certain drugs, especially if you take them around the same time. These drugs include levodopa, quinolone antibiotics (such as ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), tetracycline antibiotics (such as doxycycline, minocycline), thyroid medications (such as levothyroxine), and drugs for osteoporosis (bisphosphonates such as alendronate). Ask your doctor or pharmacist how long to wait between doses and when you should take your medications.
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this product with others.
Remember that it is best to get your vitamins and minerals from food whenever possible. Maintain a well-balanced diet, and follow any dietary guidelines as directed by your doctor.
Check the fluoride content of your water supply by asking local town or city officials. Fluoride supplements are not necessary if the fluoride content in the water supply is greater than 0.6 parts per million. If your water supply changes, check with your doctor or dentist to determine if extra fluoride is still needed.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose. Take your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature away from heat and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Information last revised June 2018.
Copyright(c) 2018 First Databank, Inc.