Erythromycin base pads - topical
Erythromycin base pads - topical
This medication is used to treat acne. It helps to reduce the number of pimples. Erythromycin is an antibiotic (macrolide-type). It works by stopping the growth of bacteria. This product contains a large amount of alcohol, which dries extra oils from the skin.
This medication is for use on the skin only. Clean and dry the affected area as directed. Then wipe the area gently with a medicated pad, usually twice a day or as directed by your doctor. Depending on the size of the area to be treated, more than one pad may be needed. Use each pad only once and then discard. Wash your hands after use.
Do not use this more often or for a longer period than directed. Your condition will not clear faster, but the risk of side effects may be increased.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. Remember to use it at the same times each day.
Avoid getting this medication in your eyes or inside the nose or mouth. If this occurs, rinse thoroughly with water.
Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it worsens. It may take up to 3 months of regular use before the full benefits of this medication take effect.
This medication may cause burning, redness, itching, or dry/peeling/oily skin, especially in the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. Eye irritation may also occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Rarely, use of this medication may result in other types of skin infections (fungal or other bacterial infections). Contact your doctor if you notice any unusual skin irritation or other symptoms.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include:
In the US -
Before using erythromycin, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to other antibiotics (e.g., azithromycin, clarithromycin); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is not known if this medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Some products that may interact with this drug include:
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
For the best results, this medication is often used as part of a total skin care program. Follow your doctor's recommendations.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose. Use your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store the tightly-closed container at room temperature between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C). This medication is flammable, so keep it away from heat and open flame. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised January 2019.
Copyright(c) 2019 First Databank, Inc.