Chemical Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)

Skip to the navigation

Chemical Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)Skip to the navigation

Topic Overview

Chemical pinkeye (conjunctivitis) or toxic pinkeye is caused by getting smoke, liquids, fumes, or chemicals in the eye. Flushing the eye with running water must be done immediately to remove the toxic chemical or liquid.

Mild pinkeye can be caused by the chlorine in swimming pools. Most people don't need treatment. After the eye is rinsed free of the toxic substance, artificial tears or ointment may be used to decrease the redness and irritation.

Symptoms of serious pinkeye caused by a toxic substance include:

  • Severe pain.
  • Decreased vision.
  • Redness.
  • Large amounts of swelling.

Pinkeye from a chemical or toxic substance needs to be evaluated by a doctor.

Chemical pinkeye is not contagious.

Chemical Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)Skip to the navigation

Chemical Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)Skip to the navigation

Credits

ByHealthwise Staff
Primary Medical Reviewer William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine

Current as ofJune 4, 2014