The good news: although diabetes is a lifelong condition, by taking action you can live a healthy life. Whether you’re newly diagnosed with diabetes or have been living with it for some time, these steps are key to keeping diabetes under control:
- Keep your blood sugar (glucose) levels well controlled:
- Ask your doctor if you should take low-dose aspirin along with cholesterol or blood pressure medicine to help prevent heart attack and stroke.
- Eat a healthy diet. The right nutrition is key to preventing, delaying, or better managing diabetes.
- Aim for a healthy weight. If you're overweight, losing as little as 7 to 15 pounds can make a big difference in your health.
- Stay or become more physically active. Try walking for 30 minutes at least 5 days a week.