Neomycin/polymyxin/hydrocortisone solution - otic
Neomycin/polymyxin/hydrocortisone solution - otic
This ear drop is used to treat outer ear infections caused by bacteria (also known as swimmer's ear). This medication contains neomycin and polymyxin, which are antibiotics that work by stopping the growth of bacteria. It also contains hydrocortisone, which is an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid that works by reducing ear swelling and discomfort.
This medication treats only bacterial ear infections. It will not work for other types of ear infections. Unnecessary use or overuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
This medication is usually used 3 or 4 times a day or as directed by your doctor. The ear canal should be clean and dry before using this medication.
For accuracy and to avoid contamination, have another person insert the drops if possible. Before using, hold the container in your hand for a few minutes in order to warm it. This will minimize dizziness.
To apply ear drops, wash your hands first. To avoid contamination, do not touch the dropper tip or let it touch your ear or any other surface.
Lie on your side with the affected ear upward. Hold the dropper directly over the ear and place the prescribed number of drops into the ear canal. To help the drops roll into the ear of an adult, hold the earlobe up and back. For children, hold the earlobe down and back. Keep the head tilted with the treated ear upward for 5 minutes, or insert a soft cotton plug if so directed. Another way to give this medication is to place a cotton wick in the ear canal and moisten it with the prescribed number of drops as often as directed. The wick should be replaced at least once a day.
Repeat the above steps for the other ear if so directed. Do not rinse the dropper. Replace the cap after use.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same times each day. Continue using it for the full time prescribed, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping this medication too early may allow bacteria to continue to grow, which may result in a relapse of the infection.
Do not use this medication more often than prescribed or continue to use it for longer than 10 days.
Inform your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
Do not use in the eye.
This medication may temporarily sting or burn your ear for a minute or two when applied. If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if this rare but very serious side effect occurs:
Use of this medication for prolonged or repeated periods may result in a new fungal ear infection. Do not use it for longer than prescribed. Contact your doctor if you notice new or worsening symptoms.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include:
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to neomycin, polymyxin, or hydrocortisone; or to aminoglycoside antibiotics (e.g., gentamicin, tobramycin); or to corticosteroids (e.g., dexamethasone, prednisone); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients (such as sulfites), which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
This medication should not be used if you have certain medical conditions. Before using this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have:
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
This medication should be used only if clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is not known whether this medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Your healthcare professionals (such as your doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use.
Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. This medicine may be harmful if swallowed.
Do not share this medication with others.
This medication has been prescribed for your current condition only. Do not use it later for another infection unless your doctor tells you to.
It is important to keep the infected ear(s) clean and dry. Try not to get the infected ear(s) wet when bathing. Avoid swimming unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose. Use your next dose at the regular time. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION: This is a summary and does NOT have all possible information about this product. This information does not assure that this product is safe, effective, or appropriate for you. This information is not individual medical advice and does not substitute for the advice of your health care professional. Always ask your health care professional for complete information about this product and your specific health needs.
Information last revised February 2019.
Copyright(c) 2019 First Databank, Inc.
Selected from NATIONAL DRUG DATA FILE (NDDF) data included with permission and copyrighted by First Databank, Inc., 2019. This copyrighted material has been downloaded from a licensed data provider.
The above information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your health care professional. You should consult your health care professional before taking any drug, changing your diet, or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.